U10D2-24 – Select a peer-reviewed article to address how social media and technology will impact furture directions and best practices….see details
In the next decade, a tsunami of retirements will test your abilities in HRM in terms of maintaining the skills required by your organization to deliver services to the public (Hays, Kearney, & Coggburn, 2009). In this final unit, you will examine the extent of the problem of retiring workers, examine strategies to reduce its effect on your organization, and develop a new understanding of the value of succession planning as it pertains to acquiring talent for your organization, not just through promotion, but acquisition.
Hays, S. W., Kearney, R. C., & Coggburn, J. D. (2009). Public human resource management: Problems and
prospects (5th ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: CQ Press..
To successfully complete this learning unit, you will be expected to:
- Contextualize trends in public sector human resources with personnel management practices.
- Apply practices and theories that help create more efficient personnel management practices in a public sector setting.
- Demonstrate critical thinking and writing skills in the discussion of personnel management practices for a public sector organization.
Unit 10 – Future Trends and Demands in Public Sector – Human Resources
[u10s1] Unit 10 Study 1- Readings Use your Public Human Resource Management text to complete the following:
- Review Chapter 4, “Human Resource Management in the Federal Government During a Time of Instability.” You will address the issue of the “retirement tsunami” in a discussion question later in this unit.
Use the Research Library to complete the following:
- Review Krausert, A. (2014). HRM systems for knowledge workers: Differences among top managers, middle managers, and professional employees. Human Resource Management, 53(1), 67–87.
- Read Lane, J. (2000). Public sector: Concepts, models and approaches (3rd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications. Read Chapters 7, 10, and 12. You will reflect on this reading in a unit discussion.
[u10d2] Unit 10 Discussion 2 – Future Impacts on Job Descriptions Search the public administration and human resource management professional and peer-reviewed literature to find an article that address how social media and technology will impact future directions and best practices. Share a synopsis of the article you found and a reflection on the potential benefits and possible barriers of social media and technology in developing job descriptions and evaluations within the profession.